SPACE FOR YOUR IMAGE DESCRIPTION OR TITLE

SPACE FOR YOUR IMAGE DESCRIPTION OR TITLE

ode to homemade marshmallows

10.27.2011


















i finally got around to taking a second go at making my own marshmallows.
my first attempt failed due to a small, insignificant oversight...typical.
so once i figured out that i left a key ingredient out {water!} i was back in business.

i used this easy recipe from smitten kitchen...it really wasn't that hard, just a little time-consuming,
but oh so worth it. most of the time consumption happens while the marshmallows are chilling for a few hours.
contrary to her directions, i scraped the bowl...i couldn't resist! 
but luckily there was no mess at all...the scraping happened pretty easy.

once the marshmallows were chilled in the pan
i carefully removed the entire thing from the pan
because they were incredibly sticky and it was easier
to cut them into square on a cutting board.

my glands have been dreaming of all the possibilities of homemade marshmallows...
though my imagination wasn't too original:
i thought of hot cocoa & smores!

lucky for me we have some delicious norwegian chocolate on hand thanks to this lovely lady,
and i bought the best graham crackers you've ever devoured from this bakery in town.

wishing we could pass out homemade marshmallows for halloween
instead of that store-bought pretend sugar...you know what i'm talking about?

anyway, these marshmallows were easy enough and oh so tasty enough
that i've decided it's strictly homemade 'mallows from here on out in our house.

8 comments:

Cassie said...

Isn't it amazing how much better they are? I wouldn't have believed it until I tried them myself (last holiday season.) I made them for friends (who all told me later they thought I was crazy...I mean, how good can they be?...until they tried them.) We swirled red coloring into ours and they were oh so pretty.

Cheers to sugar of the yummy non processed sort!

Anita said...

Sounds so yummy! I have been wanting to try to make these myself ever since I saw them on her blog. This just gives me that much more encouragement!

Lucy said...

Wow, I never would have thought of making marshmallows at home. I'm intrigued. Especially after seeing your pictures and imagining a snowy day that starts with hot cocoa and real marshmallows...oh the possibilities!

tinyparticlesoflight said...

I might wanna marry you a little bit. Haha! But really, I need to make these ASAP. What great holiday gifts!

xo
cortnie

Chelsea said...

I got to your blog from Jill Witt's and just wanted to tell you that everything about your blog is beautiful.

Mercedes said...

ann they turned out so beautifully! we need to make a batch with macaron crumbs instead of icing sugar. just for a little crunch!

Meghan said...

beautiful! I love the star shape in the cocoa...so inviting!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous, inviting post, ann marie! i've been addicted to hot chocolate now that the weather is cooling down... i've never made marshmallows before, but now now i'm definitely in the mood to whip up some some-vegan style. thanks for sharing, as always!