SPACE FOR YOUR IMAGE DESCRIPTION OR TITLE

SPACE FOR YOUR IMAGE DESCRIPTION OR TITLE

School vs. Home-School?

6.19.2008

So I'm faced with a big decision that needs making within the next few days. Should I invest time and lots of money into going to a culinary school, or do I try to learn in my own kitchen (or even get an entry level job with a caterer or baker?). Well-known cooks have all sorts of different backgrounds. Here's the tally:
The Barefoot Contessa: no professional schooling...just bought a specialty foods store!
Tartine Bakery owners: Professionally Trained


Hell's Backbone Grill owners: No Professional Training (as far as I've read).
Veganomicon authors: No professional culinary schooling.
Grandma Celia: home-school for sure!

Keith Abel, co-author of Cooking Outside the Box: trained as a lawyer, no culinary school.
The Sacramento Chocolate Goddess: lots of schooling and lots of awards!
The Queen of Cooking, Julia Child: professional culinary education
Nigella herself: journalist gone chef...no professional training...just good taste.
Mary Crafts, owner of the award-winning catering extravaganza, Culinary Crafts: no professional training.



7 out of 10 did not have professional training...but does that mean I too should not go to school? Is there more to school than simply learning to cook? What about networking? What about the fact that they have all the tools and ingredients I need? But comitting to school for the next 8 months means my schedule isn't as flexible and I'll be needing some student loans...so much to think about! What's your vote?


1 comments:

Dianne said...

What about Janet Barton? She has won cash prizes in national cooking contests. Maybe you should talk or email her.