SPACE FOR YOUR IMAGE DESCRIPTION OR TITLE

SPACE FOR YOUR IMAGE DESCRIPTION OR TITLE

my name

6.09.2009

my name, ann marie, was influenced by my great-grandmother, annie. in every picture i have of her she is wearing one of her many aprons. i am grateful to have one of her aprons, pictured above. i use it when i'm making bread, or when i'm making a family recipe...one that annie would have made. i wonder what songs she would have hummed while cooking. i wonder what the women would have talked about while the bread was baking. celia jane might be able to tell me, but it's getting harder for her to remember.
annie was a midwife. she took care of the women in the neighborhood. i think to be a midwife is to be in one of the highest of callings in life. i believe i would have truly enjoyed her company.
who were you named after?

2 comments:

CJ said...

I was named after a dark lake in Scotland I think...
Your post reminds me of a live version of the Greg Brown song "Canned Goods". He says "..as I garden in the same dirt my grandma did. Grandma, how did you fit all those wrinkles on just one face?" He goes on to sing about a family reunion where everyone is eating each others homemade food, etc...

Jesse Reid said...

I'm named after Uncle Jesse from full house. Psych! Now for the truth- my middle name is Reid, same as my pa. I was born on his birthday. I don't know where Jesse comes from..