SPACE FOR YOUR IMAGE DESCRIPTION OR TITLE

SPACE FOR YOUR IMAGE DESCRIPTION OR TITLE

When I Am Among The Trees

12.03.2008

I was reminded of this poem by my mom in a family letter--it's written by Mary Oliver. Thought I'd share it with you--it's one of my favorites (could it be because it's about trees?!).

When I am among the trees,
especially the beech, the oaks and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness.
I would almost say that they save me, and daily.
I am so distant from the hope of myself
in which I have goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
but walk slowly, and bow often.
Around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out,
"Stay awhile."
The light flows from their branches.
And they call again, "It's simple," they say,
"and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine."
Favorite lines: "walk slowly, and bow often" & "It's simple...and you too have come into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled with light, and to shine."


5 comments:

About Me said...

Thanks for sharing the lovely poem. Absolutely beautiful. As are you!

Dianne said...

Thanks to you for giving me the book Mary Oliver's poems. They are all good, She has some about prayer and other spiritual topics I like. I enjoyed the same lines you did. I'm liking to read poetry right now.

Natalie said...

I love Trees and that poem is absolutely splendid! Thank you for sharing!

Dee said...

I LOVE IT!!! OH! So beautiful. "they save me", awwwww! I am exposed to so many wonderful things on your blog. Thanks for introducing me to an author I'd never read before!

Question: Have you read Travels With Charley In Search of America by Steinbeck? I'm reading it now and it's WONDERFUL!

Anonymous said...

Mary Oliver is awesome.
Thanks for posting her wonderful words!