SPACE FOR YOUR IMAGE DESCRIPTION OR TITLE

SPACE FOR YOUR IMAGE DESCRIPTION OR TITLE

A Favorite Poem & Lullabye

9.24.2008


Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality.

We slowly drove, he knew no haste,
And I had put away
My labour, and my leisure too,
For his civility.

We passed the school where children played,
Their lessons scarcely done;
We passed the fields of gazing grain,
We passed the setting sun.

We paused before a house that seemed
A swelling of the ground;
The roof was scarcely visible,
The cornice but a mound

Since then tis centuries; but each
Feels shorter than the day
I first surmised the horses' heads
Were toward eternity.

-Emily Dickinson

I've mentioned before how beautiful I think death is. For some reason this poem (and song sung by Natalie Merchant) is in my heart and mind tonight after a long day of study and research. Perhaps I am ready for rest and sleep...and for something beautiful among so much ugliness in the world. Goodnight, my lovelies.

2 comments:

Dee said...

I should have read this as I tried to wind down after a long day of the same last night! I was not feeling any love.

I love this one! I knew it instantly. Emily is one of my favorites ever. I have her on my nightstand.

sarah sample said...

love you lovely. goodnight. I am so blessed to have you anna.